Welcome to Happy-Kat. This site is all about a place to organize my crafty adventures. I will get started by diving into my WIPs. (That = Works In Progress, or Work In Progress…es)
First up! Roadkill Bunny and Prick Your Finger needle case from Twisted Stitches by Phil Davison at Urban Cross Stitch. I found this book at random at a big bookstore a few years ago. It’s incredible! It’s full of off the wall patterns that are perfect for the non-traditional cross stitcher. I love every pattern in this book. Someday I’ll make the Kitchen Bombshell for my kitchen. And the Zombie Pin-up for my bathroom. Every girl needs a zombie pin-up in their bathroom, right?
Anyway, I made the roadkill bunny first because it was small and quick and grossly adorable. I was either pregnant or just had a baby when I started it, though, so once I got to the roadkill one I couldn’t finish it! I can’t explain it other than I was full of mommy hormones. They are a force to be reckoned with. I cried over this pattern, people. Full on saddened by the bunny’s fate. Mommy hormones are wild. So I put it aside for another day. Sure enough, a couple months later I finished it no problem! I stitched both of them on 14 Aida with some scrap thread, matching the colors as best as I could. I put both on a kitchen towel for a birthday present for a friend’s 42nd birthday. It was her 42, so naturally she got a towel. Plus, she flipped out when she saw the pattern months ago when I bought the book. It was a nice surprise. Wins all around! Much more fun than framing it.
Next up is the needle case. This one is for another friend (you may notice a trend here; I love to stitch more than I love to keep stuff) for her birthday. Well, that birthday came and went. Still, I got back into the groove of this one and now I’m almost done with the stitching part. Just the thumb flesh left.
Isn’t it fun to associate thumb flesh and cross stitch?? I love these guys.
I used a leftover 14 count Aida scrap for the words. I used scrap thread for most of it. This was another one of those projects that was just being difficult. I got as far as the words and blood drops, but couldn’t decide on the border. Back to the shelf it went until I decided on DMC 306 for the main border and DMC Light Effects E135 for the accents. Those metallics can be fussy to stitch with, but man, it’s worth it! Perfect.
I am using 22 count leftover Aida for the thumb, for two reasons. One: it’s what I had. Two: the thumb is deceivingly huge and the 22 count made it fit the 14 count words piece. Sheesh. I mostly used the suggested colors for the thumb, since my floss collection has grown quite a bit since last year (I blame weelittlestitches-I’ll get to them another day). I am using a different color for the flesh, DMC 436, because I like it better. The suggested one was too peachy for me and 436 better matches the skin tone of the recipient. I know, kinda weird, but yes, that matters. It’s the little things.
I have yet to pick some fabric for the whole case, but I’m sure this will sew up quickly once I get a chance. The case should be big enough for scissors as well, so I’m contemplating a ribbon or cord for attaching one. Hmm…
I don’t always fly by the seat of my pants on projects. I have a lot of kits (mostly Dimensions) that come with everything I need. I keep all the extra thread from said kits in a box and it’s fun to use those extras/scraps for small projects like the bunny. It gives it a slight spin from the original and it is always a surprise in the end.
Stay tuned! We’ll see what surprises lay in store.