When I started tatting, I found pictures of this elephant online. I couldn’t (still can’t) get over it! I looked and looked over the last couple years and finally got a copy of it. I decided to treat myself this week, and bought the rest of the thread I need to make it. My LYS now carries tatting stuff! Be still, my heart! I even bought extra bobbins for my Aerlit shuttle. I’ll put the colors on those first, so it’s easier to switch back and forth.

(Edit: found this post in the depths of my Drafts. This was over a year ago, maybe 2)

I’m making so much progress on the elephant! Here are some old pics of it.

TBH this part was the hardest. Once I got done with this it went faster.
Whew!
Elephant butt!
Legs 25%
Legs 50%

I didn’t get many pictures of the head in progress but these are from last night:

The gold part of the headpiece was so fussy.

I had to switch shuttles because the Aerlit wouldn’t hold a bobbin anymore. I can gently “squish” a metal shuttle to make it tighter but not the plastic one. The Moonlit is my favorite shuttle anyway! Winding the colors on bobbins ahead of time worked out very well. I’ll do that again with my Boye shuttle sometime.

I hope to finish the trunk today, then the front and legs! All that’s left after that is the howdah (saddle)!

I’m going to get a shadow box to hold it when I finish. I’ll block it in the shadow box. I may need some shorter pins if I can find them.

More soon!

Oof. Life can hit hard, huh? But I’m back now.

I frogged a lot of projects I didn’t feel super excited about, cleaned up my stashes, and started stuff I really like. I have so many things I can do but I won’t live long enough to get them all done you know? Cross stitch is the hardest to cut down. I’m trying so hard to work on one thing at a time. I’m 49.998% done with the puppy but I’m losing my grip on it. I decided to start a bigger pattern I’ve been excited about out! I can go back and forth. The puppy is more challenging so it’s nice to have a break.

I started “Fabulous Women in History” by CloudsFactory. I changed a few (more like a third) of the people to ones that inspire me more.

First up is Eleanor Roosevelt! I don’t have much to show yet.

I wound all of my leftover sock yarn into a bunch of balls. I want to make something awesome with all of it! I chose Atlanticus because it’s pretty and I can add as much as I want to the border!

Rounds 1-20.

It’s pretty challenging for me with the different colors but I’m loving it! Hopefully soon I’ll get to the square parts.

That’s all for now. More later!

I forgot to show you my cool new project bag! I saw it on Moogly and realized I had everything I needed to make one. It was quick to make too. I used some extra yarn laying around, some cute spoopy buttons I’ve had forever, and some plastic canvas.

TBH, I made one side’s canvas too small, the other too big, lol. But it works! I love using it and I get lots of comments on it, especially from kiddos. It’s fun showing people what tatting is. AND that it’s not just “for grandmas”. Spooky people like tatting too!

Wait…where did I put that flamingo cup? I love that lil cup…
first page
second page, before pockets, see the canvas under there?
figuring out where those packets will go and making sure they’ll hold they’re respective items
ta-da! before construction
I laid out where everything was supposed to go, so I could reference this pic when I sewed everything on. I thought it would take awhile with all those buttons but it went quick! (btw-WIP instead of RIP, get it? Work In Progress? Very few people get it. oh well)
Finished construction! The edging looks a little messy to me, but it’s because of the uneven plastic canvas. I don’t mind it; I love the fall colors.
Isn’t it cute?? That big pocket will fit a small notebook too. (Right now it’s crammed with the pattern and remaining colors of thread.)

OK, it’s starting to look like something now…I’m mostly done, only the head and front legs left!

This turned out to be the biggest part and the fussiest.
The red was a very welcome change from all that fussy green!!
Woohoo! Drag Bingo! Tatting and bingo went very well together.
Cute foot! Now you can see how big that first motif is.
Once I sew in those ends I’ll get going on the head.

Here it is! 4 years later! I found every WIP picture I have and put them in order:

ugh I had to rip out some of the first stitches, but it wasn’t so bad
The bottom Gallifreyan says”KAT2015-2019RIP”

Stuff I changed to personalize it:

  • I added different phrases on the sides. The original said “something old and something new-something borrowed something blue”. I chose a quote from Captain Jack Harkness “I used to be a poster boy…the Face of Bo they called me.” I love Jack!
  • Instead of K-9 in the bottom squares I put a Dalek and a weeping angel. Both are from wee little stitches.
  • I changed the bottom text to Geronimo! with a bow tie (cuz the’re cool) and a bobbin of thread next to some squiggles.
  • I put some black lines on the police box door to look like text.
  • This is the first time I put the year I started and the year I finished! My friend suggested putting RIP since it took so long. ;-)

On to the next one!!