When I started tatting, I found pictures of this elephant online. I couldn’t (still can’t) get over it! I looked and looked over the last couple years and finally got a copy of it. I decided to treat myself this week, and bought the rest of the thread I need to make it. My LYS now carries tatting stuff! Be still, my heart! I even bought extra bobbins for my Aerlit shuttle. I’ll put the colors on those first, so it’s easier to switch back and forth.
(Edit: found this post in the depths of my Drafts. This was over a year ago, maybe 2)
I’m making so much progress on the elephant! Here are some old pics of it.
I didn’t get many pictures of the head in progress but these are from last night:
I had to switch shuttles because the Aerlit wouldn’t hold a bobbin anymore. I can gently “squish” a metal shuttle to make it tighter but not the plastic one. The Moonlit is my favorite shuttle anyway! Winding the colors on bobbins ahead of time to work very well. I’ll do that again with my Boys shuttle sometime.
I hope to finish the trunk today, then the front and legs! All that’s left after that is the howdah (saddle)!
I’m going to get a shadow box to hold it when I finish. I’ll block it in the shadow box. I may need some shorter pins if I can find them.